Monday, June 22, 2009

Freestyle practice and Trail Time!

Great day with Z! Started building the backwards circle on the round pen rail. Using a grain bucket to incentivize her backwards try. Worked really well! Got some great spins started, too! I'd like her draw a little stronger at Liberty, we'll build that back up.

Then, the arena for more freestyle practice. We jumped several times with ease and I'm so much better about keeping my butt in the saddle. The more I stay in the saddle, the less I feel worried about the jump. Interesting! The isolated ends bridleless are nice, too. I'm so pleased with us. I'm focusing on the figure 8 and making sure she doesn't turn until I ask her to.

Then, we left the arena and got Rain tacked up so that I could take my little sis out on the trail. I switched saddles so Z and I went english on the trail. We went 8 miles, a nice long ride. Chrissy had a little trouble with Rain eating grass and I tried to start helping her understand how to "train" a horse with natural horsemanship principles. The concepts are tough and she really wants to yank on the reins - predatorial instincts. It's going to be neat to watch her grow and progress. I know she had a good and intellectually stimulating time!

The mosquitos were retarded and we left the trail thinking there'd be fewer bugs on the roads. There were less, but not a lot less. Had to call Steve to rescue us with more bug spray. Mosquitos really, truly get on my nerves.

It was a great day for me, the first long day with horses in a week or so. I've got hooves to trim - got one of Rain's done before I got tired of battling the mosquitos. She's got high heels and flare at the toe pillars. Z is ready for a trim as well. Everyone is doing well here at the ranch. Getting rocks ordered today to toughen up their feet and help make the track more natural.

No comments: