Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Time with Z

Had a great, great session with Z! We started working more on the backwards circle in the round pen and more spins. The bucket of grain as incentive to go backwards is amazingly effective! I sprayed her off and took her into the sandy round pen to see if she'd roll with me. She started to, but then she changed her mind. I'm going to try that a few more times. She was super relaxed and I finally just sat on the ground. She stayed very close and nibbled on the nearby weeds. I found a new place she loves to be scratched near her hock. We have absolutely reached an all-time high in our relationship.

Then, we left the round pen, tacked up and went for some riding. We practiced our freestyle backup, isolation of the ends, and figure 8's. We jumped 2 ft several time and we are soooo much improved. She glides over the jump, I stay back and in the saddle and we feel like we've found an amazing place of harmony. So proud of us! We did some riding on the rail while practicing some w/t/c transitions. Then we opened the gate and left for some trail riding.

All 3 dogs came along. I didn't have a great plan, just to see where she hit a threshold. We cantered up our 1/4 mile long driveway and at the top at the gate, we stopped and thought about things. I hit the button to open the gate and she gladly walked out and down the road. Very cool. We trotted away, some cantering, and she hit a few thresholds. I inadvertently pushed her through one or two and regretted it, but she willingly walked on. I'm trying to be good for her confidence in me as a leader and pushing her through thresholds does not help that.

Anyway, we rode for a couple miles, not far, and came back. My sore Great Dane was with me and I couldn't cover the mileage I wanted. We made it back and I asked her to turn away after a moment and leave again. It was more challenging for her to leave again, but we did it. I tried to take it slow, reward the slightest try and make the wrong thing difficult.

We went out a mile or so and then came back. It was such a fantastic night. I got her feet trimmed and tucked her away for the night. Just a great night.

No comments: