Tuesday, March 17, 2009

More Undemanding with Z and bareback riding

Amazing how a little undemanding time with Z brings her right around. I'll keep focusing on staying more balanced with undemanding time between the progressive riding and ground sessions. She's much happier to see me, nickering when I come out, not leaving when I have a halter in my hand. It's so interesting how she goes in and out of feelings of fondness for me.

I sat with her in the aisle after grain time, brushed her, talked on the phone while she nudged me repeatedly demanding that I scratch her face. She loves her face scratched! Then, we did a little bit of ground work and more trailer loading into the 2-horse straight load. I had some things dropped off for my horse playground (2 large tractor tires, 3 barrels, some 12' piping). It made a huge pile and she was extremely suspicious of this changed play area. We did approach and retreat and she gained confidence with the new stuff. Then I squeezed her over a few of the new things. At the end, she stood with the new piping under her belly and I was pleased. We moved on... Oh, an interesting note - my horse is so RB when it comes to new stuff! She was curious, but very unconfident!

Then, I hopped on for a few minutes of bareback riding. I haven't ridden bareback in a while and I may want to do my freestyle audition bareback. I'm permitted to ride in a saddle, but then I wouldn't possibly be eligible for anything L4. Anyway, I need more bareback practice - it can only help. I used to ride bareback all the time; on the trail, in the arena, wherever. Z's impulsive nature has made me feel less confident bareback. I'd still ride Rain bareback anywhere. Z is not quite a 5 on the impulsion chart - she's probably more of a 7. Makes a big difference.

The weather is amazing but I have kid stuff to do! More time tomorrow perhaps. Want to progress more with Cowboy.

No comments: