Thursday, May 8, 2008

On the ground with Gemini

I played with him for about an hour yesterday evening. I'm realizing that I don't know him like I thought I did. He displays LBE behaviors but once in a while, he'll go RBE. Yesterday, at one point, he all of a sudden leaped in the air and started tearing around. I'm assuming something startled him as he was intently looking off into the neighbors acreage just prior. I giggled but then I thought I had to promise myself to take notice because I really believe that's similar to the types of things he'll do under saddle. Just all of a sudden, he'll act out. So, is he introverted and all of a sudden checking back in with reality? Or is it playful? Or is he having moments of defiance? How interesting...

We worked on sideways without a rail. I watched a Parelli student's video yesterday with a mule and she had a beautiful sideways away and towards her human. I was uber impressed. Gave me something to work towards for all my horses. I haven't done much sideways with Gemini, so we took it slow and he really started to catch on. We worked on circle game, but he was pretty sure he needed to canter and he was pretty silly. So, I tried to build his ability to slow down, be thoughtful, transition up and down softly, be soft on the rope and come into me in prep for change of direction. He had a ton of energy and I think he wasn't happy about being out of sight of his herd. At one point, the knot in the 22' to the halter came undone and he hauled butt back to the barn. See, my 22' is tied on the popper end to the halter - Dennis' advice as the joints in the carbiner slow the communication to the horse. I'm sure he's right, but I like the security of the carbiner keeping my horse attached.

Then, I took him into the roundpen and played some hide your hiney and stick to me. He's not sticking as well as last few times. He stays facing me, but doesn't stick so well. We practiced getting lighter and lighter responses to porcupine game with isolation on the ends, too. That's getting better. He's fairly dull to the leg when mounted and I'm hoping to get him going better with more porcupine. I want to ride him today. Weather looks good and work is light.

I saw Gemini more clearly than ever yesterday and I need to continue getting to really know him. That's how he and I can stay safe and grow. There's a scared horse in there behind a stoic exterior. He's a beauty and his shiny dark summer coat is coming in. He's stunning. And he's been misunderstood for long enough.

No comments: