Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Walking the trail with Z

Did a nice, slow and easy 5 mile trail ride with Z and two of my dogs. Started out with me running, trying to get exercise for the first 1.5 miles. Then, after a little ground work on the trail, I hopped on and we walked the whole way. I never do that! I always feel the need for speed on the trail. But today, we walked. I've been spending a lot of time prepping for Freestyle filming and Z and I needed to just chill. She was great, relaxed, comfortable, and alert. We needed it.

When we got back, I groomed her and loved on her. She loves her face scratched and I complied. She was in a good place emotionally and when it came time to put her back with the other horses, she did not want to go! She balked when I led her into the stall to go out on the track! She's never, ever done that. She wanted to stay in the barn aisle. With me? To be with the hay? I don't know. But normally, she wants to go back with the herd and tonight she didn't. That's pretty cool.

Also, I'm riding the feet off of Z. She's not growing enough hoof wall to support all our riding. Time to ride her in boots. Wow.

No comments: