Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Playing with Z, after the class...

So, now my challenge is to remember it all and utilize what I learned in Pagosa. I played with Z for the first time since the trip and it was interesting. We worked on trotting into the trailer on the 45', the squeeze game incorporating more of "the wait", circle game with obstacles at the trot and canter, driving from zone 5 with one rope, then riding in a circle asking her to drop her chin (more contact), supple bending (snakey bends), bridleless riding for a while and a little cantering in the arena.

Then, I took off the tack and we played at liberty a bit. It was getting dark, but I was glad the air was cooler. Not crazy about the summer heat! I started teaching the spin for the first time. It was clutzy and uncoordinated. We did a few and I decided to stop until I could see better another day. We practiced maintaining gate on the circle and I counted trot laps. She gave between 3-6. Not great - not terrible.

I felt a little rushed today with her and watching the sun go down. I had planned for a trail ride, but with my first day back at work and putting in 11 hours, my plan fell apart. She is still sometimes getting bracey in the neck when she doesn't want to do something and I have to continue to not fight the brace and rhythmically break it down. She's also turning around in the trailer, so I have to isolate that movement and get her to stay facing into the trailer when she's on a longer line.

Gemini is fat! He's eating more than his share and I'm now putting him in a run at night with less hay. I also need to get him moving. Today, I plan to take Rain and G on a trail ride. They both need the exercise. The filly looks fantastic and I had a great time with her yesterday just goofing off while talking to her owner. What a nice filly she is. The new mare is a pig like Capaill (bummer), but she'll go out on the track today so we'll see how that goes. Capaill looks more fit since the track installation and his owner is very pleased. I'm now working to figure out how to arrange horses to minimize my workload. I'm thinking to put G and Rain in the west pasture since they are both such easy keepers and don't really need grain. That will leave 4 on the track, a good number for keeping the peace.

Anyway, lots to work out on the horse-keeping front and time to think about minimizing my work for winter. We'll see...

Hopefully, Dennis tomorrow!

No comments: